Monday, August 13, 2007

Thoughts on Cultivating a Pure Passion

It has been a long while since I have posted, and of course a lot has happened in the past five months, but the significant event I speak of today happened only two days ago. This past weekend was a blur of activity, craziness, joy and sadness, all wrapped up into a "simple" event most every little girl (and big girl, too!) dreams about. Have you guessed yet? Yes, this past weekend was (one of) my best friend's wedding, and I had the pleasure of being one of her bridesmaids. It is funny to reflect on the past four years of our lives together, thinking of all the times we worried about finding a guy, and then worried about how to find the "right" guy amongst all the wrong ones, worried about if the guy we liked was really the guy God had specially picked out for us, and finally worried how we would make it until the wedding day! All along, however, God was at work in both of us, in vastly different ways, forming our relationships and cultivating love, while we worried about what was coming next!


Looking back, however, after my best friend has finally found and married that one special person that she will share her hopes and dreams with, I see how far their relationship has come in the short year and a half they have been courting. When I first learned of my best friend's interest in her now husband, I must say that I was not just a little skeptical. I mean, how could any guy understand my best friend enough to think he was worthy of her companionship? I know now that I was wrong, but at the time, it only seemed like he was taking her away from me. In a short amount of time (a year, but really only 5 months was he there), I learned that not only did he care for her, respect her, cherish her and love her, but he also cared about getting to know her friends better too (Guys, getting in with her girlfriends is the key)! I soon was assured that this "boy" that took my best friend away from me was not only a really wonderful guy, but also was genuinely the best man in the world for her. And so even though I already do and know I will miss our "roomie" experience terribly, I can honestly say she traded me for an even better roomate, and more importantly, the most perfect mate she could have found. All this, and more, God had planned and designed just for her! How silly of us to worry then, and how silly of us to worry now, for as He clothes the wildflowers in all their splendor, so much MORE will he clothe each of us, providing for our deepest needs in ways greater than we could ever imagine.

No comments: