Sunday, March 12, 2006

About the Name - Pure Passion

Inspired partly by a favorite book of mine, Elizabeth Elliot's Passion and Purity, this is also something I strive for in my life. Looking at those two words individually, here's what I found:

pure: (adj.) 1. Free from adulterants or impurities 2. Free of dirt, defilement, or pollution 3. Having no faults; sinless
passion: (n.) 1. Boundless enthusiasm 2. A powerful emotion, such as love or joy 3. The suffering of Jesus at the crucifixion

Putting those two words together, having a "holy desire", shows that which I must continually seek after, day in and day out. My thoughts are summarized nicely in the praise song below, as one believer speaks in earnest to his Holy God:

Give me one pure and holy passion
Give me on magnificent obsession
Give me one glorious ambition for my life
To know and follow hard after You

To know and follow hard after you
To grow as your dicsiple in your truth
This world is empty, pale, and poor
Compared to knowing you, my Lord
Lead me on and I will run after you.

How often are my desires holy and blameless before God? How often do I even desire God? Oh that I had the faith to passionately pursue God above all else, instead of my own sinful desires.

What would this world be like if the Church had this passion? Can you imagine the impact Christians could have on the world if we truly had this "pure passion" for Christ and His kingdom?

"The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD, but the words of the pure are pleasant." - Proverbs 15:26

"Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God wich lives and abides forever..." - 1 Peter 1: 22-23

1 comment:

Robbie Schmidtberger said...

Didnt i use the name pure passion once? My thoughts on that phrase is how one is to act to another whom is loved and cared for. God does call us to love one another, and that love is described in depth in 1 Corinthians 13- pure passion is synonomous with Godly zeal. (depending on how it is used.)

I am reminded by the Casting Crowns song, "If we are the body," by your rhetorical question what would this world be like if the church was this way, or had this as a characteristic.

Good closing verse :-)
our passion is pure by obeying God, nothing more, nothing less.